Thursday, March 19, 2009

For Today, I love homeschooling

Truth told, I have a love/hate relationship with homeschooling. Allow me to explain.

I love teaching the kids. I love teaching them about history, science, and other subjects from a Christian perspective. I love praying with my kids before hard lessons and tests. I love going out and exploring our world and using books to back up our findings. I love that life is school. Life is learning. It's a lesson I was taught and I love teaching it to my kids.

On the other hand...

I hate mornings. Seat work happens in the mornings. My bad morning mood can carry over into seat work time. I hate being told how to teach. Especially by a 6 year old. And trust me, he knows. He knows it all. He will teach me before I have even begun to teach him. I hate having a pouting face staring at me when I correct them. I hate that my perfectionism has rubbed off on them and to fall short is to fail in their eyes. I hate that I so often feel like I'm failing.

But for today, I love homeschooling. I love snuggling when reading. I love that Tyler wanted to do THREE math pages today. I love that he did this after telling me two days ago how much he did not like math. I love that we get to do school in the summer. (Psst - don't tell the kids!)

I'm off now. I've got more snuggles and learning to do!

Bethany

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this was a testimony to me, as I want to homeschool this fall and want to know as much as possible before I start... like that its gonna be tough! lol I encourage you to do more and more posts about your homeschooling...you write so well and I love being able to pick your brain! (if you'll let me)

I love the sentence...reading while snuggling... what a beautiful thought!

Many blessings to yoU!
Amanda

Laura said...

What a wonderful mommy you are, I don't think I could ever homeschool even though you make it sound tempting! :) Thanks for visiting our blog, and reading my ramblings. Your children are SO cute!!
Have a great week!