Friday, February 6, 2009

Watching Paint Dry

That's about as exciting as it has been around this house. We had dinner with my father-in-law tonight. After he left to go see Grandma B. in the hospital, Doug and I were just tired. It's the end of a long week. Neither of us have had that much energy to do anything. We have had one wave of sickness after another, it's cold, and we're worn out. (Don't worry, I am going someplace with this.)

The kids on the other hand have cabin fever. They would gladly climb the walls if we would let them. They don't sit. They sit and bounce. They don't walk, they run with thumping feet that would wake the dead (or Hope up from her nap). So as you see, we have a predicament on our hands. Oh, what to do.

We have stopped watching TV for the most part. An occasional show here or there, but it is no longer our evening stand by. Besides, have you checked out regular programming on Friday. It's enough to bankrupt us in therapy bills for the kids. For years! Seriously! What kind of people think this stuff up? So again, what to do?

Luckily for me, I happen to be married to one of the world's most ingenious men. Especially when it comes to entertaining children. Are you ready for this. It's really good.

I have a picture that I stuck in the OUTSIDE of a picture frame because I have been to lazy to take it off the wall and open the frame and place the picture in appropriately. Yes, people, that is the sad truth. So there is the picture hanging out of the edge of the frame looking like it is going to drop any minute. The kids haven't noticed that it has been that way for TWO days. Daddy says, "Let's watch and see if that picture will fall out. Do you know how many other kids have never watched and seen something like that?"

Yes, my children bought it. For ten blessed minutes of bouncing silence, they sat (read bounced on their rears) and watched that picture hoping to see it fall. They thought up all sorts of scenarios. Tried to huff and puff and blow the picture down. All to no avail. Doug kept them interested by pointing out all the possible, fascinating things that might happen to the picture as it fell.

I sat on the couch shaking with laughter. I thought I would burst out, and bring on a meltdown from Becca. The best part to me was when they talked with Daddy and made a date to watch the grass grow next summer.

I'm not sure whether or not I should have posted this. Being a homeschool mom and all it does kind of reflect back on my teaching. I think I'll risk it. It's too funny to keep quiet.

No comments: